Blood tests appointments now need to be booked (there is no longer a walk in service).
It is possible to go for your blood test to any of the health centres listed below but please telephone and make an appointment first:
- Carlton Health Centre, Park House - 0115 961 7616
- Arnold Health Centre, Main Street - 0115 883 2300
- Hucknall Health Centre, Curtis Street - 0115 883 2100
Please remember to take the pathology form which should have your name/address label on with you when you attend.
About Blood Tests
A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
A blood test usually involves the phlebotomist taking a blood sample from a blood vessel in your arm. and the usual place for a sample is the inside of the elbow or wrist, where the veins are relatively close to the surface. Blood samples from children are most commonly taken from the back of the hand. The child's hand will be anaesthetised (numbed) with a special cream before the sample is taken.
You can find out more about blood tests, their purpose and the way they are performed on the NHS Choices website.